Friday, May 21, 2021

The amount of waste

 Throwing our own garbage has brought to my attention how much waste we generate as a household. We order too much on Amazon, order more than we should from Swiggy than can be healthy for us and in general have too much stuff. 

For a minimalist-aspirant like me, that sucks. 

I gave up my minimalist home expectation after seeing how much my husband loves stuff. And for those who are going to say " Stuff doesnt make you happy" really havent seen him after he has received a well-designed product. And I think his happiness from good products far exceeds many people's happiness from experiences. He hits all the marks of anticipation, during use and post-purchase. So it doesnt bother me. 

This brings me to an interesting digression- Does stuff really not make you happy? The answer isnt straightforward. Stuff or experience can make you happy if you like it for what it is. The general understanding about stuff usually was that you bought things to impress others/ raise your status but experiences were for yourself. That statement isnt true in the age of social media, so maybe in this decade we shouldnt rattle " experiences make you happy, stuff doesnt"  as if it is the gospel. 

Anyhow, the flipside of stuff is that it comes in packaging. So much packaging. Sigh. 

No comments:

Post a Comment