Sunday, August 22, 2021

Post death

 Uploading your brain to a system and becoming immortal digitally has been an endless fascination of mine. Ken Liu, Neal Stephenson have touched on these and  I have consumed those with great interest. My personal stance on this always was that I dont want that for myself. I want to live in my physical body and then disappear. 

I had not considered what is the fate I would prefer for my friends. 

I was reflecting that for a few of my closest friends - I have spent more time with them digitally than I have in person. They live in different countries and we barely meet once a few years. But even if we dont meet at all, the quality of our friendship hasnt come down- perhaps due to the strong foundation of knowing each other fully well or that we are used to living a lot more of our life digitally that this has become a part of life. 

Should one of them be faced with an early death, would I not love for them to live in a system, so that our friendship can continue? Am purely talking from my perspective- not theirs. To me I think it wont make any difference- we hardly see face to face, an emoji is enough for me to figure out what they are feeling, and most importantly I would love a world where they exist, than one they dont. 

But then there would surely be overpopulation- my solution to that is the digital one too expires at an agreeable age- Say 80/75 or whatever. This is only a solution for early/natural deaths.

No comments:

Post a Comment